Crankster

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Something Funny

I try to avoid talking about politics. This isn't because I don't have strong political convictions or definite ideas about the path my country is following. Rather, I think that political discussion has largely been replaced by dogmatic trumpeting. All too often, I see two people holding intractable positions and refusing to budge. For discussion to work, both sides have to be willing to listen, and both sides have to be willing to change. I feel like that is, simply, no longer the case.

One thing I will say, however, is that I'm really getting tired of people coming up to me, wide-eyed, and pointing out yet another of Bush's scandals. Where were these people four or five years ago, when these disasters were news? Yes, North Korea has nukes. Yes, American soldiers have been torturing arabs. Yes, the government given no-bid contracts to Bush's oil buddies. Yes, yes, yes, this was in the news years ago. Where were you then?

Sometimes, I feel like my country is like Rip Van Winkle, waking up after a few years of sleep and trying to adjust to all the changes that have happened. However, I still don't know what the sleep was, or why everyone seemingly ignored all the truly heinous things happening in the early part of this decade. It's like Bush was a cross between the Wizard of Oz and a Quaalude-wielding fratboy, using misdirection to convince everyone that we were on the path of righteousness. The drugs have apparently worn off, and everyone is blinking their eyes and wondering why our asses hurt so much.

Anyway, I'm getting off my soapbox. All of this was, actually, a lead-in for this satirical short, which made me laugh until my sides hurt. The creators seem to have hit all the major points of the last few years, which makes it both a nice little parody and a "We Didn't Start the Fire" style chronicle of the Bush administration. I hope you get a kick out it.

(The link above connects to the actual film. Below is a shorter, somewhat butchered You Tube version. Unfortunately, the visuals and the voice-over don't match up in this copy!)

10 Comments:

  • "In greed we trust" Indeed!

    By Blogger JamieSmitten, At January 10, 2008 at 11:21 PM  

  • I am so with you on this. I hate talking politics. I know my beliefs, I respect other people's, but I have no interest in arguing endlessly and pointlessly with no resolution in sight.

    Great skit. Bush is a thick crook.

    Puss

    By Blogger Glamourpuss, At January 11, 2008 at 7:18 AM  

  • ooooh, my a$$ hurts. Waaa happened?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At January 11, 2008 at 8:44 AM  

  • lol Great movie!

    The thing is, I thought it was generally accepted that Bush stole the elections (both of them) and he was never really President?

    Anyway, I remember all you guys being upset when Reagan's terms were finally done. Everyone was saying "what happened? were we blind? why did we go along?" and now, he's revered apparently, so who knows how people's minds work.

    One thing I do know is individual memory is apparently frequently recycled and the cache cleared. Canadians do it too. Drives me nuts.

    By Blogger Echomouse, At January 11, 2008 at 5:03 PM  

  • it'll be interesting to see what happens next.

    By Blogger Claudia , At January 11, 2008 at 5:48 PM  

  • I think it's more like "Goose Greets the New Day", a children's story in which the main character gets up each day with no knowledge of what happened the day before. I mean, we re-elected him! Of course, Americans also re-elected Nixon because like he told us, he was not a crook.

    By Blogger Spellbound, At January 11, 2008 at 5:58 PM  

  • I think people anesthetize themselves because they would rather not have to deal with these issues, but then an election year comes along and suddenly they have to make up for lost time.

    And you're so right that a discussion SHOULD imply an exchange of information rather than people on both sides trying to bludgeon each other into submission -- kind of like competitive religions in which each are convinced that they alone have God's ear.

    By Blogger heartinsanfrancisco, At January 12, 2008 at 3:09 AM  

  • My favorite is "Gateway to Servitude," big business' final triumph over organized labor. That's what I've been talkin' 'bout!

    By Blogger M@, At January 12, 2008 at 6:19 PM  

  • Jamiesmitten-
    Short and to the point!


    Puss-
    Well put!


    Pool-
    Did you just quote A Mighty Wind? Outstanding!


    Echomouse-
    Not long before he killed himself, Hunter Thompson wrote a piece on Bush. He commented that Bush made Nixon look like a liberal. Next to Bush, Reagan was a philosopher. I guess our opinions are relative to our situation!


    Claudia-
    Yeah. One way or another, it's shaping up to be a pretty amazing election.


    Spellbound-
    Somehow, though, I'd like to believe that our collective memory is slightly more permanent than an Etch-a-Sketch!


    Matt-
    What I love is the long, beautiful list of his crimes.

    By Blogger Crankster, At January 16, 2008 at 10:58 PM  

  • Hearts-
    Sorry for missing you! You're right--religion is the perfect metaphor here. Both sides think that they have access to some eternal, perfect truth.

    By Blogger Crankster, At January 16, 2008 at 10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home