Crankster

Friday, December 07, 2007

Recent News

So, it's almost one in the morning and I have to get on the subway at 6 to catch a 7:30 bus to Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.

And I can't sleep.

My youngest sister Ella, the one I raised, is in the hospital. She had some liver problems when she was a baby. They were very, very serious, and we were amazed that she survived. Yet, survive she did, and she has thrived for 24 years now.

A few days ago, she woke severely jaundiced. She ran to the local hospital, which subsequently transferred her to a larger, regional medical center about 40 miles further away. Apparently, one of her liver ducts was blocked, which was causing bile to back up inside her. Right now, they're not sure if it was caused by scar tissue, swelling, or a stone, but they've installed a drain, which she will have for about a month. After this, the problem will (hopefully) have gone away. If not, they will operate again.

It doesn't look like this will be life-threatening, but it put a huge scare into all of us. My other two sisters are with her right now, and I will be trading off with them tomorrow. We've contacted all the various relatives, and have gotten back in touch with the doctors who operated on her over twenty years ago. It was a nice reunion, but I can't help wishing that it had occurred under other circumstances.

When she was a little baby, we used to call her "Yella Ella" because of her jaundiced skin and yellow eyes. Even after she healed, the nickname still lingered, and we dragged it out from time to time for shits and giggles. Now, of course, Yella Ella has made a comeback. True to form, we have pulled out the graveyard humor and revitalized the nickname.

It's terrifying, but this whole situation has reminded us about how much we care for each other and how far we are willing to go to help one another out. It's kind of beautiful and terrible and humbling, all at the same time.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

  • "beautiful and terrible and humbling all at the same time"....I know exactly how you feel.

    My thoughts go out to you and your sisters. Those stents are wonderful things. This will clear it up. Hang onto that imaginary rope and keep the humour up :) {Hug}

    By Blogger Echomouse, At December 7, 2007 at 1:18 AM  

  • Awww..sorry to hear..hope her color changes quickly! Positive thoughts are being sent.

    Peace

    By Blogger Odat, At December 7, 2007 at 6:51 AM  

  • that is definitely a scary thing to go through....I hope she feels better soon!! Hugs to you both!!

    By Blogger Claudia , At December 7, 2007 at 11:50 AM  

  • Warmest wishes, hugs and prayers to you and to Ella.

    I'm so sorry she (and all of you) are going through this, but she sounds like a real fighter and I know she'll recover quickly. With so much loving support, she has to.

    Take good care, Crankster.

    By Blogger heartinsanfrancisco, At December 7, 2007 at 5:16 PM  

  • ah shit. tell her to quit snorting highlighters and drinking cat urine and shell turn back to herself in no time.

    By Blogger Susan Burroughs, At December 7, 2007 at 5:33 PM  

  • Echomouse-
    Thanks. The humor is going full blast here. Many, many jokes about liver and onions, as well as comments about clueless surgeons.


    Odat-
    She's already faded to a light canary, which is much better than her original color. Thanks for the warm thoughts!


    Claudia-
    It's definitely one of those things that makes you focus on the important stuff! Thanks for the hugs!


    Hearts-
    She's definitely a fighter. We're making all sorts of Frieda Kahlo comparisons, which seem to be keeping her on a pretty even keel.


    Divine Vulva-
    I'm not sure that they get that that's you, Ella. Freak.

    By Blogger Crankster, At December 7, 2007 at 5:48 PM  

  • Oh, that is fabulous!! DV...good to hear you're ok!!

    By Blogger Claudia , At December 7, 2007 at 6:10 PM  

  • Sounds like the worst is over and you're both (Cranks/DV) reacting with the positive, twisted humor I'd expect from you! :) I'll be thinking about you and sending prayers or positive vibes or whatever you'd like... I can try telekinesis or something, but that hasn't turned out so well in the past. (I was constantly grounded as a kid for bending all the silverware... and the furniture... car... siblings...)

    By Blogger William, At December 7, 2007 at 6:51 PM  

  • Nothing stops the world faster than a loved one in need. I'm glad there are troops to rally and a positive support system, even if it includes graveyard humor. Positive thoughts are headed your and Ella's way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At December 8, 2007 at 11:13 AM  

  • Count me in with Pool. And do try to keep her away from the cat urine, the other cats will get the wrong idea, and you already had that problem once.

    By Blogger The CEO, At December 8, 2007 at 8:19 PM  

  • Claudia-
    If the word "okay" can be used in reference to my sister's sense of humor!


    William-
    I always had the feeling that you were a little bent. Now I know why.


    Pool-
    Thanks! I'm definitely getting the positive thoughts.


    CEO-
    I can keep an eye on her when I'm in the room, but sooner or later, I have to leave!

    By Blogger Crankster, At December 9, 2007 at 7:08 PM  

  • Love is a beautiful thing. Love her well.

    By Blogger Lex, At December 10, 2007 at 9:17 PM  

  • Lex-
    Thank you. I'm doing my best!

    By Blogger Crankster, At December 11, 2007 at 7:09 PM  

  • Listen, I want to help. Does she need more cat urine? I have a cat who is a very good provider. Box follows, with air holes.

    By Blogger heartinsanfrancisco, At December 13, 2007 at 11:41 PM  

  • Hearts-
    The cat will be very welcome. It has been months since I had real Korean food, and I am seriously jonesing. Additionally, the fur will definitely come in handy, as it's been getting quite brisk here.

    Many, many thanks for a perfect and thoughtful gift!

    By Blogger Crankster, At December 15, 2007 at 11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home