Crankster

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

ATTITUDE

My wife subscribes to numerous magazines, most of which I don't read. However, there are times when I find myself in the bath or eating breakfast, and an issue of Oprah, Glamour, Lucky, or Romantic Times Book Review just happens to be sitting nearby. While I sometimes read a bit, I often just get a kick from checking out the article titles. For example, this month's Romantic Times Book Review really captured my eye. Its cover features an African-American author, Kayla Perrin, next to the legend "SINGLE MAMA DRAMA: A NEW SERIES WITH A NEW ATTITUDE."

Okay, let's just forego the obvious racial undertones swirling around "Single Mama Drama," shall we? I want to move on to the richer waters of "A new attitude." How refreshing to find a book with a new attitude. And by an African-American woman, no less! Goodness knows that African American women aren't known for having "attitude," and there are (happily) no cultural stereotypes encouraging them to display "attitude."

What's next? "Bookish" brunettes? "Bubbly" blondes? Perhaps a "mysterious" Asian babe or a "spicy" Latina? Could we possibly throw a "fiery" redhead in the mix, just for good measure?

I could belabor the point with a lot of meaningless discussion, but I'll just short-circuit all that and admit that I'm dying for the day when "bodacious" brunettes will enter the lexicon, alongside their equally under-represented sisters, "brilliant" blondes, "sexually-repressed" Latinas, and "ploddingly logical" redheads.

Hey, it could happen.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

  • I wonder what her new attitude is, really? Withdrawn, demure? Or is that old? I have no idea. However, I would like to say I recently dyed my hair brown and I am going to work for that bodacious brunette title!! Hell YA!!

    By Blogger Claudia , At January 22, 2008 at 8:03 PM  

  • I agree. Positive stereotypes are still stereotypes. They should have had her wagging her finger at the camera, girlfriend.

    By Blogger M@, At January 22, 2008 at 9:05 PM  

  • I really missed out going to an all-male high school. They existed before Title 9.

    By Blogger The CEO, At January 22, 2008 at 10:53 PM  

  • Claudia-
    You've got my support. Bodacious Brunettes, claim your throne!


    Matt-
    Somehow, you just nailed it in one perfect little sentence. Two snaps and a circle, baby!


    CEO-
    I don't know. I found that the stereotypes even infiltrated the bastions of my all-male elementary school. Stereotypes are so easy to support when one isn't distracted by actual humans!

    By Blogger Crankster, At January 23, 2008 at 12:03 AM  

  • "should have had her wagging her finger at the camera girlfriend" LOLOL That was awesome!

    Truthfully, I never ever thought of this stereotyping in this way. But you're so right. From now on I'm going to see this crap everywhere and it's going to bug me no end. Thanks Crankster. lol

    By Blogger Echomouse, At January 23, 2008 at 12:30 AM  

  • luckily Im just a boring brunett... rather run of the mill and there are no sterio types that go well with alliteration for me

    By Blogger Nosjunkie, At January 23, 2008 at 4:04 AM  

  • I loathe womaen's magazines with a passion...

    But you never know, maybe the attitude was this sort of thing? Emma Hamilton invented a new art form with her attitudes...

    Puss

    By Blogger Glamourpuss, At January 23, 2008 at 12:34 PM  

  • I had no clue there was such a thing as "Romantic Times Book Review."

    You're playing it mighty safe, my friend. We really should be wondering about the "single mama" element of this thing. Surely somebody's going to blow a gasket over that stereotype.

    Almost as hackneyed a stereotype as "cynical balding bloggers."

    By Blogger The Geezers, At January 23, 2008 at 5:19 PM  

  • When I was a child, female victims of crime were always referred to in the newspapers as "comely brunettes."

    I don't know when such editorializing went out of fashion in news reportage, but I'm glad it did and I no longer have to worry that should I become a rape or murder victim, newsroom reporters will not engage in arguments about whether I was in fact comely or not.

    By Blogger heartinsanfrancisco, At January 23, 2008 at 6:41 PM  

  • Echomouse-
    Reading waaay too much into everything? Welcome to my world!


    Nosjunkie-
    Are you bookish?


    Puss-
    Way to find the redemption in my rant!


    Mystic Wing-
    You're hitting a little close to home on that one!

    The other day, my wife was walking down the street when she overheard two teenage girls in front of her talking about their plans to find "baby daddies," get pregnant, drop out of high school, and go on welfare. It wasn't a scam or a joke, and I'm not making it up.

    Honestly, I just didn't have the heart to take on the whole "single mama" thing!


    Hearts-
    I don't know; I kind of mourn the passing of such writing. I could only imagine the holiday that such writers would have with my "bald head, gleaming in the moonlight, a fleshbound crystal ball fortelling...death!"

    By Blogger Crankster, At January 23, 2008 at 10:46 PM  

  • Crankster, how much do I love this funny insightful blog of yours? Dry as a good martini pal!

    -e-

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At January 25, 2008 at 11:09 AM  

  • Great. Now I'm going to have "fleshbound crystal ball fortelling...death" stuck in my brain.

    By Blogger JamieSmitten, At January 28, 2008 at 9:25 PM  

  • Anonymous-
    Dry as a good martini? Thanks!


    Jamiesmitten-
    Stuck in your head? I've just written my own epitaph!

    By Blogger Crankster, At January 28, 2008 at 11:35 PM  

  • I am So enjoying your blog and hop eyou come back soon. Update us on Ella!

    By Blogger Steph C., At July 9, 2008 at 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home