Crankster

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Three Mile Island Iced Tea

I meant to write about the NRA museum, but I got a little sidetracked on the back story, so it'll have to wait for a few days. I'm going back up to New York tomorrow, and hope to be back on Saturday. I will probably be running all over the place, so I won't be posting for the rest of this week. I promise to get back to it by next Monday. In the meantime, this is just a little vignette about my last trip to Christiansburg.

And, by the way, thanks so much for your encouragement over the past month or so. I can't convey how much I've appreciated the comments and e-mails!


On the last trip South, I didn't leave Brooklyn until one, which meant that I didn't leave New York until two, which meant that I got caught in the grip of some seriously awful Pennsylvania traffic. Route 78 in the Keystone state is constantly under construction, which means that one has to plan one's trip through PA with a level of precision usually reserved for moon shots or the German auto industry. Alternately, one can simply pack a book. War and Peace is a good choice.

By the time I got to Harrisburg, it was apparent that I would reach Christiansburg sometime around midnight. Not relishing a high-speed ride down 81 fueled by terror and coffee in a can, I decided to call my friend John and ask if I could crash (pun definitely not intended) at his place in Arlington. Being a true mensch, he readily agreed, and my evening brightened considerably.

The evening in Arlington won't quite live in infamy, but it was a lot of fun. This was largely due to the "Three Mile Island Iced Tea," a beverage that John is developing with his local bartender. John came up with the name, and has dedicated himself to taste testing. The bartender, on the other hand, has taxed his resources coming up with a wide variety of glowing green potions that look like antifreeze and taste like bubblegum, pineapple juice, and sterno. After test tasting four of the damned things, I was in a very good mood. I couldn't feel my gums, but there was a slight ache somewhere around my middle. I think it was my liver.

I also got to meet John's girlfriend, Andrea, who contains multitudes. She has an anarchic sense of humor and also took delight in John's iced tea from hell. I think she might be truly evil, in the absolutely best way. When we got back to John's, we savaged the small selection of Dietrich's treats that I had packed as a late night snack and host's gift. In the process, I discovered that Dietrich's makes a truly outstanding kielbasa. In case you were wondering.

The next morning, the sun shone brightly and I looked forward to a leisurely trip back to Christiansburg. Perfect side-trip weather.

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

  • Ah, Crankster, you're always so enlightening: I thought only female admin assistants in their early twenties drank cocktails like that.

    Puss

    By Blogger Glamourpuss, At June 19, 2007 at 7:24 AM  

  • ooh, I bet it had Midori in it!! yum. I can't drink like that anymore. shame.

    By Blogger Claudia , At June 19, 2007 at 11:20 AM  

  • Good to see you back. And I can't wait to hear about the NRA museum.

    Don't let us hang for another 30 days.

    By Blogger The Geezers, At June 19, 2007 at 1:59 PM  

  • They sound delicious mind you Im just in a raging humour to get drunk - ahh the forbidden fruit of a mother of two!

    By Blogger Judith, At June 19, 2007 at 4:04 PM  

  • I am off to VA Thurs am. Not looking forward to the PA road closings. BUT, I am going to stop off at Dietrichs with the kids and get us some pie. maybe a smoked chicken too. and maybe a little kielbasa. maybe not the keilbasa.

    Glad you are mapping cool stops for me. Will you friend make drinks for all your traveling bloggers or just you right now?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 19, 2007 at 10:48 PM  

  • You could always stop off here if you couldn't get John. You had to pass within 1/4 mile of the house on the way to John's, and I'd have let you shower before you hit my bar.

    By Blogger The CEO, At June 20, 2007 at 12:34 AM  

  • The world needs menches.

    By Blogger M@, At June 21, 2007 at 12:12 PM  

  • Three Mile Island Iced Tea, eh? You'll have to tell me where that bartender works -- I'm in Arlington enough to merit a visit anyway.

    I'm liking the War and Peace idea... I usually keep a pocket Encyclopædia Britannica in my glove box for that same purpose.

    By Blogger tokenscot, At June 21, 2007 at 4:56 PM  

  • Puss-
    We all have a little "girl drink drunk" hiding somewhere inside us!


    Claudia-
    Actually, I think it had blue curacao. I meant to find out, but the inventor was off for the weekend when I recently visited.


    Mystic Wing-
    Thanks! I'm making a concerted effort to be more consistent!


    Jude-
    I know exactly what you mean. I've been taking advantage of the free time!


    Reflecting Pool-
    Hope you enjoyed Dietrich's! In other news, go to Kitty O'Shea's on Wilson Blvd in Arlington, ask for Matt (or was it Mark?), and tell him you want a Three-Mile Island Iced Tea. I'm sure he will be happy to oblige!


    CEO-
    Thanks for the invitation--I may yet take you up on it!


    Matt-
    With wrenches.


    Tokenscot-
    See the instructions above. I'll try to find out, once and for all, the guy's name!

    By Blogger Crankster, At June 24, 2007 at 8:39 PM  

  • Glad your mood was lifted by a toxic drink! and kielbasa on top of it? Geeze, hope you weren't "glowing"...
    Peace

    By Blogger Odat, At June 25, 2007 at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home