Crankster

Saturday, July 11, 2009

So long! Farewell! Auf Weidersehen, Goodbye!

As some of you have pointed out, it's been a while since I last posted. To be honest, I've more or less decided that it's time for me to move on from Crankster. I started this blog when I was hitting my mid-thirties, living in southwest Virginia, and seriously afraid that I was turning into an old man. It was a place to put those worries, talk them out with the world, and generally stop my slow descent into middle age.

In the last three years, a lot has changed. I've moved to a new city and been bombarded with all sorts of new irritations, challenges and experiences. I've done some new jobs, gotten going as a professional writer, and generally complicated my life in all sorts of bizarre ways. Along the way, my sister has gotten a liver transplant and my daughter has transformed from a baby to a toddler to a little girl. One cat has died, but the other is still thriving; Bagheera remains a daily source of joy and anguish. My wife and I are still chugging along, disturbingly happy with each other, and surprised that our fifth wedding anniversary is coming up.

Over the past three years, I've also met a lot of cool people, many of whom were kind enough to comment on this blog. I've even met some of my favorite writers, like Pickled Olives, the CEO, and Cranky Franky.

Long story short, I'm no longer worried that I'm becoming old or falling into any sort of routine. A large part of this process has been my blog and, through it, my interactions with you. I've been very lucky to have a group of loyal readers who regularly checked in and pushed, prodded, and encouraged me to do new things and go new places. You have helped me to become a better writer and a better thinker, and I owe much of my current writing success to you. I'm sorry for neglecting you over the last few months, but I want you to know that you've been in my thoughts.

I don't want to turn this into some sort of promo for other efforts, so I'm going to hold off on talking about my professional projects; on the other hand, if any of my long-time readers are interested in checking out the websites that I now write for, please drop me a line and I'll send you the urls. In the meantime, I'm working on a new blog, Bruce and Mr. Boston, in which I'm documenting my ongoing attempt to expand my cocktail-making horizons. It's kind of a fun, personal, pet project. If you get a chance, please drop in.

Again, thank you for everything!

Crankster

7 Comments:

  • Goodness, I could have told you that you're not one of the people who grow old and complacent, but I'm glad you found out for yourself. It's been a delight getting to know you and I am very happy with your pursuit of a professional career. I have found that meeting people from my blog IRL has been even more rewarding than I imagined and has enriched my life. CEO and I talk on the phone frequently, WG and I get together from time to time, Blogbaby came to my IRL party as well as AnimalMind, and a new and amazing writer, Finding Wings In my life has inspired me to move my professional writing forward. Do keep in touch, you know where to find me. If I'm ever in NYC I would love to meet Mrs Crankster, not to mention your daughter. Oh, I not big on cocktails, but I have some shoes great new that have Martini written all over them. I need to learn to drink.

    By Blogger Spellbound, At July 11, 2009 at 6:19 PM  

  • Spellbound-

    Thank you for the wonderful note. I understand all too well how strong a force Virginia exerts on its children; however, if (when?) you come to the city, please drop me a line. If nothing else, I can show you where Miles Davis and Herman Melville are buried, drag you to a few great bookstores, and hook you up with some of the best food imaginable.

    All the best!

    By Blogger Bruce, At July 11, 2009 at 7:25 PM  

  • I clicked over here expecting to see the Palin post again, so imagine my surprise to find this blog's swan song instead.

    Ella's transplant is wonderful news - she captured my heart with her courage, irrepressible spirit and her sense of the absurd. You have also made your wife and George live through your words so that they feel like familiar friends as well.

    I have very much enjoyed reading here and getting to know you and your family through your fine (and fun) writings. I wish you the very best of luck and hope to catch your act wherever you land next.

    Cheers and hugs to you!

    By Blogger heartinsanfrancisco, At July 12, 2009 at 3:10 AM  

  • Hearts-
    Thank you so much for the support and inspiration over the last few years. Reading your blog for the last few years, I've never ceased to be amazed at your ability to weave gold from straw. Although I'm not commenting all that much these days, I still keep in touch, and you continue to amaze me!

    By Blogger Bruce, At July 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM  

  • I also expected to see the same Palin post and voila! instead a farewell. Congratulations and cheers to you and Ella--I'm glad to hear everyone's doing well and that life is moving right along (as it should.) Wishing you the best!
    Claud

    By Blogger Claudia , At August 25, 2009 at 10:10 PM  

  • I just hit my mid-thirties (34) and I've moved on from Virginia but I can relate... I'm a retired blogger now, too. Btw, I met Franky, CEO and Elaine too.

    By Blogger M@, At September 13, 2009 at 11:20 PM  

  • Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At January 3, 2010 at 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home